New Order #2 1984 08 20 Winter Gardens Margate

My second New Order gig was quite a contrast from the first. It formed part of a small tour that was announced in the music press:


Ticket below, which was also the basis of the poster I have with all of the tour dates.


Support, as they were at RFH, were Life. As I said before, they should have been much bigger!

This gig in Margate was the only time New Order have ever played in Kent. It's also the easternmost town they've played in the UK. They didn't grace it with their longest ever set though. The show consisted of only 9 songs:

Set and song timings
Blue Monday 7:49
Thieves Like Us 3:28
Dreams Never End 3:09
Your Silent Face 5:35
Senses 4:48
Chosen Time 3:50
The Village 4:32
5-8-6 6:12
Temptation 7:20

Blue Monday suffered from a false start that lasted about 15 seconds. Before it recommenced, Barney announced "I'd like to dedicate the next song to Elvis Presley, who I base my entire vocal style on and who I think I look a lot like". 

With barely a pause, it was straight into Thieves. Not that they seemed like they were keen to be finished, but it didn't even feature the long intro. We did get some woo-woo's at the end, but it was still a truncated version.

Dreams Never End was next and was much more like it. The bass finished and immediately Your Silent Face started. Still no pauses between songs. At one point in YSF Gillian mouthed "I don't know how to do it". A brief pause, and then the first of two more songs from Movement, Senses, which featured some nice extra guitar sections and even a "Thanks very much" from Barney at the end. Chosen Time followed, with some very fast drumming at the beginning. The only time I've heard either of these two played live.

The Village was a highlight of the set and was followed by its album successor 5-8-6, just as the previous two songs had run in album order.

Then it was on to Temptation, featuring some Perfect Kiss frogs at the beginning before the guitars kicked in. Barney started to sing too soon, and got a bit confused with the lyrics too. And that was it, they were gone, barely 45 minutes!

Five days later was the BBC performance for the 24 hour Rock Around The Clock marathon, and a week later, 27th August, they produced a storming set at Heaven (I didn't go, but I've got the bootleg).

I took two photos on a very poor quality camera. The second, if you look to the left, is Hooky. Honest.

===================================================================

Footnotes

I'd attended two further gigs since the RFH. Both with New Order / Factory connections. The first was at the Hammersmith Odeon (as it still was, and to my mind still is) on Sunday 3 June 1984 - OMD supported by Fiction Factory. No recollections of the latter, but the former's set is below. They left the Factory connected song to very late in the set, and curiously played Locomotion as an encore having only played it a few minutes previously in the main set. Something I've never seen happen since.
  1. Junk Culture 
  2. Tesla Girls 
  3. Messages 
  4. Love and Violence 
  5. Julia's Song 
  6. Motion and Heart 
  7. White Trash 
  8. Apollo 
  9. Never Turn Away 
  10. Joan of Arc 
  11. Maid of Orleans 
  12. Talking Loud and Clear 
  13. Hard Day 
  14. Souvenir 
  15. Telegraph 
  16. Bunker Soldiers 
  17. Enola Gay 
  18. Locomotion 
  19. She's Leaving 
  20. Electricity 
  21. Waiting for the Man 
  22. Locomotion
The second was very local to me, at the Pink Toothbrush in Rayleigh, which some 40 years later is still going under that name. It was on Tuesday 10th July and was none other than Divine. I don't have the setlist, but Love Reaction definitely featured, as did I think You Think You're A Man and Shoot Your Shot.

Comments