The Smiths "Shoplifters Of The World Unite" Review

THE SMITHS: Shoplifters Of The World Unite (Rough Trade)

This record is dedicated to Ruth Polsky, the New York booking agent who was killed by a taxi that drove up onto the kerb where she was standing. The bizarre nature of her death prompted some supressed titters. This record's cover model is Elvis Presley. Thin Elvis. If you squint, hold the sleeve a few feet away, it looks like Morrissey. (Giggle.)

This record might be the stuff of tragi comedy, but the funereal tone, with cumbersome guitars and world weary singing, kills any irony that may be hidden in the lyrics. Morrissey is a master at cry now, giggle later lyrics, but the humour of the A-side is elusive. You can't supress a titter that isn't there. It is there on the B-side with the self styled parody 'Half A Person’. If Stephen isn't laughing at his own funeral (ie life) then it's someone who remarkably resembles him. It is dead funny: "If you have five seconds to spare, then I'll tell you the story of my life. .."

Or better still: “I booked myself into the Y (pregnant pause) WCA."

I don't know how this man's mind works. I don't think I want to know, but I do like anyone who can laugh at himself.

Comments