1991 10 26 New Order NME

WRITE SAID FRED

EDITED BY THE INFO-MOUS FRED DELLAR

OUT OF ORDER (PART TWO)

I notice that the theme to Making Out has changed and that the name of David MacKay has been added to that of NEW ORDER on the music credits. Can you explain the changes and perhaps, at the same time, tell me if there's ever likely to be a soundtrack album?

W Thompson, Burton-on-Trent

Over to New Order manager Rob Gretton who reveals: "What happened is that New Order supplied all the themes to the first series of Making Out, the music generally stemming from the ' Technique' sessions with the title piece being 'Vanishing Point'- the instrumental Making Out mix. Just Gillian and Steve worked on the second senes but were unable to supply the music to the current Making Out run, so it was left to David MacKay to take their music and add things over the top."

David MacKay, a keyboardist-writer-producer, who runs a studio in Surrey, called, by sheer coincidence, Factory, adds: “As far as the theme tune is concerned, it's based on the original, though I've added a new middle section. Frankly, I've been working flat-out. I didn't know that I was going to do the series 'til three weeks before it was due to be screened. I was in America at the time and suddenly I got this phone call asking me to supply the music for the series. The group couldn‘t do it because they were making an album and the screening dates had been brought forward so it was a bit of a panic. Even now it’s not finished and I’ve only just started work on episode six. ”

MacKay reckons the chances of a soundtrack album are slim because Making Out is to disappear forever at the end of this series. Not that he personally is likely to be unemployed. For, as the provider of scores for such TV series as Bread, Boon and Auf Wiedersehen Pet, he's an in-demand musician. "Next up I'm doing the music for The Old Boy Network, a new series by Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais. They're great writers. I recently saw The Commitments, which they did the screenplay for. and that's brilliant."

Comments