1989 02 04 Morrissey "Last of the Famous International Playboys" NME Review

ENIGMA OF THE WEEK

MORRISSEY: The Last Of The Famous International Playboys (HMV)

I listened to this record a lot. And I listened so hard I gave myself a nosebleed. Such is the devotion and loyalty that the man inspires. I was loathe to concede that here was another 'Shoplifters', another 'Shakespeare's Sister', a treading of water and a scattering of crumbs.

By 3 am and with the help of Messrs Smirnoff I decided I liked it but the nagging reservations remain. 'Playboys' is a hesitant rock pastiche, 'Panic' without the magnetism and the blinding self-confidence. All the Smiths except Johnny are here but their hearts seem to be elsewhere. And lyrically it either castigates or canonises the Kray twins, I honestly can't tell which.

Still, it is quite a lot of fun; the perfect terrace anthem chorus is perfect for pirouetting around the living room to, and when Mozzer's voice swoops into theatrical baritone on "have I failed" it fair reminds you of the good old days.

I would still chain myself to a disused railway line in Bacup for him but the lad can do better and he knows it. 

Comments