2010 02 20 Joy Division Guardian

JILL FURMANOVSKY

JOY DIVISION, 1979

It was the first and only time I photographed Joy Division. I was shooting for one of the music press, and after the gig I went into the dressing room and took a few snaps. Nobody took any notice of me. It wasn’t like there was a bodyguard at the door. The band at that time were doing quite well, but they weren’t selling out stadiums or anything. It was probably a gig of less than 1,000 people. Ian Curtis was quite a cheerful fellow, not gloomy at all. They were just starting out and they were having a good time.

It’s not posed. I’m a fairly discreet person. I’d say, "Do you mind if I take a few snaps?” I never spoke to Ian. I’m a photojournalist at heart. They do their thing, I do my thing. When I started shooting, I was only 18 and a nubile young lady. I used to wear baggy black clothes as a disguise. I was trying really hard to be a professional photographer in a fairly male-dominated industry and I didn’t want to be mistaken for a groupie.

Comments