2008 04 12 Peter Hook, Guardian Guide


Is this it?

His bass goes so low he's got back problems but that won't stop ex-New Order man Peter Hook having it. Just don’t call him a fake DJ

Where's your head at?

I'm not bad. Although I've had a bit of internet trouble lately, with people slagging me off online, saying I'm a “fake DJ”. I've never claimed to be a DJ, I'm a celebrity. Come and laugh at the old git who used to be in a band, that’s the way me, Shaun [Ryder] and Mani do it. But these kids who’ve paid their dues and spent 20 years honing their craft have taken it upon themselves to expose me.

My reply was, “Listen, mate, if you’ve taken 20 years to hone your craft, then you’re effing useless.” Which didn’t go down too well!

Do you remember the first time?

It was with the Buzzcocks at the Electric Circus in Manchester when we were Warsaw, although they had us down on the bill as Stiff Kittens. I was fucking terrified. I remember walking onstage and I remember coming off, but the rest is a complete blank. The gig was such a sensory overload. It’s like when you first come; it’s like, “FUCKIN’ JESUS! WOW! What happened there?”

Bass (how low can you go)?

My advice is: wear it low, play it high. Although, as my chiropractor keeps telling me, judging by my cracked discs and nerve trouble, I shouldn’t have.

Are ‘friends' electric?

Using your friends on songs is great, and with Freebass [Hooky’s project with Mani and Andy Rourke], we’re lucky we have friends like Ian Brown and Pete Wylie. But it’s not feasible live, and I wanted us to be able to hold our end up. Mani kept suggesting Gary Briggs from Haven as a singer and, lo and behold, it’s always the one who’s underneath your nose, isn’t it? Gary’s doing well.

Who do you think you are?

When I watched Control I felt like I knew that guy. I expected Anton [Corbijn] to get it right. He knows us and he’s a perfectionist. The worst thing about it is people always laugh at the wrong bits.

In 24 Hour Party People they were laughing at us losing all the money. They’re tragic bits! Sometimes I do feel like I'm surrounded by the dead, forever talking about the past, forever talking about friends who’re unfortunately not with you. It’s becoming a bit tiresome because you miss them and part of the healing process is that you have to learn to let go, don’t you? It’s difficult when you’re always talking about it, and the demise of New Order has made it all the more poignant. It’s been a difficult time.

Who wants to be a millionaire?

I’d love to be. New Order weren’t ripped off, we just wasted it. If Tony [Wilson] had fucked off to Brazil and spent it on cocaine and hookers I could have understood that but the fact that he frittered it away was a bit challenging, really. The thing is, though, between Tony and [manager] Rob Gretton, they gave you a heritage that lasts, 30 years on. I'm making more money off Joy Division now than I ever did, which is bizarre. I go around the world playing New Order records - being a fake DJ! - and I have a great time. I'm able to do that because of the chance we took with Factory and the Hacienda. Back then, I thought it was a complete waste of time. But I was wrong. Tony and Rob had the foresight to invest in our future.

What becomes of the broken hearted?

It mends. And you go on.

Is this it?

It’s not, no. If it ended tomorrow. I’d be all right, with my family. But I've had a fantastic time. I’d recommend it to anyone •

Peter Hook can be seen on The JD Set, Fri, C4, thejdset.co.uk

Comments